we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean,
and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia
and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth
(our own excepted) in their military chest; with a
Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a
drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge,
in a Trial of a thousand years.
At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer,
if it ever reaches us, it must spring up amongst us.”
– Abraham Lincoln, January 27, 1838
The terrorist attacks against our nation on September 11, 2001 clearly
demonstrated the existence of a new threat to the safety
and security of U.S. citizens. For the first time, our
country was subjected to a massive attack by an enemy
which had infiltrated from abroad, lived and moved freely
amongst us, but was driven by a hostile and fanatical
foreign ideology to bring death and destruction to the
heart of America. Although the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks
died themselves, those who planned and supported that attack are
now planning and preparing their next atrocity, promising
that it will be an even more deadly strike at America
than was 9/11. None of these threatening groups, however,
and especially the terrorists, can operate totally
secretly in a vacuum. They must take advantage of our
open and trusting society to prepare their attacks. All attacks
must have months, or sometimes even years of preparation. Nearly
all of the activities necessary for the terrorists to
attack us are often visible to observers, and if reported
to the proper authorities, will enable the terrorist
attack to be stopped. For counter-terrorist specialists,
these activities are known as “Pre-Incident Indicators”
or simply “PIIs”.
PIIs have existed and been observed in every terrorist incident.
They exist no matter what the target is or who the terrorists
are. Too often, however, they are not reported, or acted
upon, and thus the terrorists are free to carry out their
mission of death and destruction.
How do Terrorists Begin?
• All groups have a leader(s)
• Groups issue speeches, propaganda, brochures, posters, leaflets & web sites to find recruits
• Groups sponsor public rallies, private meetings, or demonstrations
Who are the terrorists?
The terrorists are Muslim muhajideen or “holy warriors”,
who are following the Koran’s instructions to "Fight
unbelievers until Islam reigns supreme" (Sura 2:193). Seeking
the destruction of America and world domination, the majority of
the world’s 200,000 “holy warriors” from 50+ Islamic
terrorist organizations are now linked to al-Qaeda. Al-Qaeda is
a group, led by Usama bin Laden, initially formed from
Afghan muhajideen who fought the Soviet occupation of
Following the Soviet defeat
and withdrawal in 1988, al-Qaeda turned its attentions towards
the U.S.A. Al-Qaeda trained between 70,000 and 120,000 terrorists
at its camps in Afghanistan prior to the American
invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001.
What do the terrorists look like?
The original profile of al-Qaeda terrorists was a Middle-Eastern
male, age 18-40. As security measures have become more
effective, al-Qaeda has become more sophisticated,
recruiting white male Europeans and Americans as well as
blacks and Hispanics and men, women and children.
What are the terrorists’ targets?
"The Twin Towers were legitimate targets, they were supporting
US economic power”… The hijackers were "blessed
by Allah to destroy America's economic and military landmarks"
Usama bin Laden, 29 October 2001
“Attack sites with "high human intensity" like
skyscrapers, nuclear plants and football stadiums. Pick targets
of "sentimental value" like the Statue of Liberty, Big
Ben and the Eiffel Tower.” al-Qaeda Jihad Training Manual
“We were trained in sabotage to attack: “The enemies’
installations, special installations and military installations,
such installations such as electric plants, gas plants,
airports, railroads, large corporations, gas, gas
installations and military installations also." Ahmed Ressam (Millenium Bomber) 3 July 2001
America is a rich nation with innumerable tempting targets for an
enemy’s attack…too many, in fact, for all of our law
enforcement and military resources together to protect from a sneak
attack by terrorists. However, American citizens
themselves have the ability to stop terrorists dead by
being vigilant and alert, and reporting all suspicious
activities to the authorities.
The most dangerous internal threats to America, from terrorism,
from organized crime or from drug traffickers are all threats to
national security because of their size and organization.
Individuals do not, can not threaten America, but
subversive, clandestine organizations working seriously
to inflict death and destruction on America, threaten our
Prepared by Community Research Associates
How do Terrorists Support their Cause?
Without funding no terrorist group can function. Terrorists finance themselves by:
• Committing Credit card fraud; telephone calling card and coupon fraud
• Counterfeiting currency, credit cards and luxury consumer goods
• ID theft
• Smuggling and transporting contraband items such as drugs and untaxed cigarettes
• Committing bank, mail, telephone, visa and immigration fraud
How do Terrorists Prepare for their Missions?
• Conducting paramilitary maneuvers and practice; demolition and weapons training
• Self defense courses, flight training Haz/Mat training, SCUBA training, orienteering
• Paintball exercises, training with communications equipment
• Surveillance of potential targets: Photographing, diagramming, obtaining blueprints, maps, and GPS systems
• Testing security systems and how authorities respond to their actions
How do Terrorists Move Within our Country?
• Fraudulent, counterfeit or altered drivers’ licenses and vehicle registrations
• Fraudulent passports, social security cards, birth certificates
• Numerous residences, rentals, hotels, apartments and houses
• Use cash instead of credit cards
What are Suspicious Activities by Terrorists?
• Surveillance of potential targets: infrastructure, govt buildings, sports and social gatherings
• Theft or cash purchases of large quantities of cameras,
cigarettes, alcohol, uniforms (military, police, aircrew, delivery,
etc); acquisition of emergency vehicles
• Possession of communications equipment, weapons, explosives, chemicals
• Large amounts of consumable goods, medicines, clothing
• Multiple identity documents
• Possession of disguises, hair dyes
• Possession of terrorist propaganda, posters, literature
What do YOU do?
If you observe suspicious activity in your neighborhood:
• Obtain as much information as possible. Note date, time and location of the activity
• Observe closely the appearance, clothing and behavior of suspicious persons
• If vehicles are involved note descriptions of vehicles and license plate numbers
Then call your local 24/7 toll-free
HOTLINE and REPORT